My husband has a bowel obstruction and is in the hospital facing possible surgery. I am looking through this site to learn what I can about members' experiences with this sort of thing.
G has a colostomy due to a tumor that was removed 15 years ago. A year and a half ago he had a hernia around the stoma which was surgically fixed with mesh and stoma revised. That experience was difficult for G but he is now stable, comfortable and happy. He irrigates every 2-days to maintain his bowel.
We went on vacation this past Friday in AZ when G got severe cramps & vomits. Within 8 hours we were in the ER. G drank gastrographin yesterday morning and it advanced to a spot in the small intestne and has not moved further - it has been about 30 hours and day is day three since this started. Earlier today after looking at the most recent Xray the doc says G has a "pseudo" stool stuck in narrowed small intestine that is trapped by scar tissue (adhesions).
The doc wants to do a laproscopic surgery tomorrow morning and free this bowel by removing scar tissue. He says it appears to be a distance away from the stoma and mesh.
We are nervous about being in a new place with a new doctor. G has finally become very stable and comfortable after his previous surgery (which was an ordeal for him) and he is nervous about complications.
We don't know whether to proceed as advised or wait longer or try to fly home to G's previous surgeon, Dr. A (4-hour flight). Today is Sunday and we cannot talk to Dr. A until tomorrow. But Dr. A's associate (on call) says there is no help that they can do from their office and without seeing G, cannot add any value to our dilema.
If any of you have any input, I would surely appreciate it. Thanks,
-- a happy girl