Daily Bag Changes: Beneficial or Detrimental?

Replies
Views
Jkwcpa

I read about how many days everyone tries to get out of a bag. Would it be bad to change every day?

Penguins7

Hello, I change the wafer and the bag every two days max. I have heard it is tough on the skin to peel the wafer off every day. I am very active as I run 15 miles per week and golf a lot. The humidity and heat plus sweating from working out makes me change more often in the summer months. I hope this helps. Good luck. Penguins7

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,470 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

LadyHope

Hi jkwcpa, you ask a very good question. I believe the answer is individual. I change my pouch every day to keep things as fresh as possible and the filter clear. I know a few ostomates who change their wafer and pouch every day. I was told by a couple of ostomy nurses to keep the wafer on at least two to three days because the changing/pulling could harm/irritate the skin. I usually change the entire appliance every 4 days faithfully. If the weather is hot and humid, the wafer sometimes peels, so I change earlier, and I have had a few occasions where I kept things on for day 5 with no issues. Hope this helps. Also, to keep the pouch as odor-free as possible, I add a few drops of ostomy deodorant. M9 is my fave, but it is blue. I also use Safe and Simple and Nascent. Take care - LH

vulcanBMk2

It's a bit different for me as I am urostomy. I use a one-piece bag and change it every 24 hours. I have pushed it to 2 days as an experiment, but better safe than sorry as far as I'm concerned...

Lubelle

I have an ile. Usually, I can change it in 5 or 6 days. If I leave it on longer than that, I find it leaks on me.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Sportster9

I irrigate every day in the morning, and I use a Hollister closed-end pouch as a stoma cap. I rarely get returns before the next morning. Sometimes, when I'm swimming in the summer, I take off the pouch and put on a Tegaderm-style bandage so it doesn't show so much. I then put back on a pouch, so it sometimes gets changed more than once a day. My skin is doing great. I think the important thing is finding a pouch/wafer system that works for your skin type and requirements. I found the Convatec adhesives to be gummy and difficult to remove, so they were irritating. For me, the Hollister one-piece stays in place and removes easily. Remember that the companies love, love, love to sample us. Feel free to keep trying things until you find the ones that work.