Thrilling First Ride on My Harley!

Replies
Views
Ranjen617

First of all, congratulations on your accomplishment of riding! That's super. I'm sorry to hear about your son. Had a friend that was not as lucky. About the same injury. Terrible.

I ride as well (pic tells the story). That's my huge goal as well. Just to ride, wind therapy. Much needed. Even on the back would help. Cranked mine up today and went 3 feet.

Today marks 2 months and 1 day. Still open wound but easy bike to upright and I'm not going to push it. I use the handlebars to my advantage for the lift. Fortunately my long legs and the low center of gravity helps with my bike. Plus it's only a Shadow ACE. I dare not try the Wide Glide here. Heck no! Right before my emergency surgery I was scooting everywhere. Now sitting everywhere, at home. Yuck!

My biggest questions were answered with the replies as far as wearing a belt, frequent stops etc. My questions really are; How do you and how often do you stay hydrated? How long after your wound heals from being open? Do you wear extra adhesives if you plan on riding? Those things. I have a cooling vest but as we know those things keep you wet, something I cannot wear now. I live in Alabama and just worried about hydration and the bag flying off. Yikes!

My doctor at rehab rode. Asked him and said that my bag would be my hurdle because it could separate. Something I certainly don't want. I currently wear a two piece Sensura Mio click (has the lock for the two pieces attached to it). I'll do anything just to ride once healed.

You all are such an inspiration for getting me to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Keep on those 25 mile trips and before you know it you'll be up to a long trip. I don't see why adding a few more next time will hurt at all. Just like starting out, adding more and more each time.

Good luck and again thank you for the great post!

Stay blessed and your knees in the breeze,

Jen

Ranjen617

Good morning. ...

I had my reversal surgery with my ileostomy and they used staples. 36 in fact, 6 were on my stoma site.

Mid July was the operation date. Earlier this week I puttered around for two days in the neighborhood. Two streets only. First day once, second day twice.

My issue is or was finding dang neutral. I felt my right side where the ileostomy was pull some. I've found the actual pain to be right above the stoma closure site. Three days now and I'm feeling a burning or stinging sensation getting up and down. I'm wearing my binder etc.

What is the general rule of thumb on getting back in the saddle as far as after surgery? My doctor is no help. Bike doesn't feel that heavy like before. In between the bag and takedown. After the reversal I got weak and couldn't lift her. Now I can but that darn neutral finding got me. Bit me actually.

Any suggestions are very very welcome as my wind therapy has been pulled from me since my first surgery in March.

Just need a few pointers on the timeframing of this after surgery. I'll drop the bike if warranted vs going through hurting myself. Unfortunately, this was done at a standstill looking for neutral and using that good ole left foot that connected to our abdominal muscles. Ouch.

Riding to me is freedom. Love my wind therapy and trying to make a comeback.

Thank you in advance, Jennifer

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,423 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.