Adjusting to Life with a Colostomy Bag: How Long Until I Feel Normal?

Replies
Views
Colostomy

Hi, I never contribute to these chats, but I need some help. I have a permanent colostomy due to incontinence. It was done March 13, 2017. I am having a hard time coping with the way my clothes feel and fit. I have had to go up a size in shorts and pants, which is very hard for me to deal with due to the low self-esteem which led me to be anorexic. So anything which means a bigger size is devastating to me. I am trying to improve my eating now and doing okay at that. But when I think about how none of my pants or shorts from before colostomy, I get so depressed. I would like to know if anyone else had this problem. Between the bag and the stoma sticking out, pants and shorts are so uncomfortable for me. I know this sounds so vain, but being anorexic is a disease I have had to deal with all my life. If I feel big and fat and clothing is tight, I go into a depression where I hate myself and do not want to live any longer. Thank God for my husband encouraging me to improve my eating and his support with the new me, post colostomy. Anyone who has gone through this, please tell me your story. Thanks

scorsby

Hi.

I also have a colostomy, and I have very little trouble.

If you can irrigate then your problems are largely sorted since you don't need a bag. Just a small stoma cap. If you can irrigate (seek medical advice) you simply need to set a little time aside each day to irrigate and life is normal again.

Remember - what's not inside can't come out.

Do look at irrigation.

John

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,470 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

drfields24

I named mine Stinky? Crazy right? But I do wake up some mornings forgetting about the fact that I have a permanent colostomy. Until I sit up and my bag is fully blown up with air. Sometimes it feels like I just got it. Still can't eat what I want yet but working on it.

scorsby

Hi.

To vent the bag, try doubling the 'relief' vent hole and squeezing.

It sometimes works.

As I said before, if you can, irrigate, and ditch the bag.

Get normal again.

John

Past Member

Hi, I had to wear a bag for 4 months between the colectomy and the reversal. That was 19 years ago but I recall how weak I was for about 2 months. Losing 60 lbs in less than 4 weeks will do that, I guess. My J-pouch works but I'm virtually chained to a toilet and my life quality suffers. Hopefully you're not knocked out as I was and you feel more energetic and normal soon. Barring any blockages or leaks, you should. Peace, brother.

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
scorsby

Hi.

I had a rough time, but I'm OK now.

Only wearing a stoma cap is great, as despite having a colostomy my life is as near normal as it was before. No worries and no bags to empty.

John

Past Member

Good to hear you're on the mend. I don't miss the bag at all LOL. Take care.