Advertisement
ConvaTec - Tips For Public Restrooms
Advertisement
ConvaTec - Me+ Join Today

Bleeding from stoma

Welcome to MeetAnOstoMate
17,070 Members
Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:53 pm

have any of you had bleeding from the stoma?  

Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:38 pm

depends on what kind of bleed you mean, if I m a little bit rough with cleaning my stoma it will bleed but nothing too bad, never had a spouting bleed.  

Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:43 pm

I had terrible bleeding after catching it on a door latch. They are sensitive and bleed if irritated. Constant bleeding would be a concern though.

Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:46 pm

I bleed sometimes around the stoma and my stomach. It is most likely because I am a bit too aggressive when changing the entire pouching system.  I don't want any old residue remaining.  The bleeding usually stops within five minutes as long as I don't fuss with the area too much.  Take care.  LH

Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:42 am

I have had bleeding around the stoma from irritation but I also have had bleeding come through the stoma if that is what you mean. Several years ago I passed what looked like red kool aid for several hours. At first I thought it was something I ate. When things didn't change I called my nurse practitioner. She seemed concerned, though I wasn't, and suggested I go in and have a blood count done to make sure it wasn't an internal major bleed. Turns out it was a major bleed! I was glad I called her because i didn't feel sick or tired or anything like I did when I was anemic before. The local doctor admitted me to the hospital where I had scopes the next day. A clipped artery was found and fixed. Thought all was over. The next morning I started to hemorrhage again. Scoped again through stoma. They could find nothing. In the meantime I had to have a blood transfusion due to blood loss. The next day I swallowed the 'camera pill' which took thousands of pictures. Still found nothing. After a few days with no more bleeding I was allowed to eat a soft residue diet. This went fine. I was released a few days after that. This was about 6 years ago and it has never happened again. Just a freak thing......no idea how the artery was clipped. I hope your situation is more of an irritation issue instead of something crazy like mine!!

Be safe,

BEG

Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:52 am

Hi,  I'm Marsha, and I've had my ostomy for more than 50 years.  As others have posted, it's not unusual to bleed  around the stoma, ( on the skin) and the stoma itself, may get irritated and bleed, some, if hurt, or rubbed too hard.  But that tends to heal fairly quickly.   If your output has blood in it, or you are "spouting" blood, from within the stoma, then you really do need to have it check out.   It could be food blockage, or an inflammation, but tests, or ex rays would determine where the blood is coming from 

Best of luck to you.   Marsha

Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:07 pm

The bleeding continued for a half day. I called the doctor and he said I should go to the ER.

I waited there over an hour, got impatient and went home.  I asked them several times to page my surgeon but was told that the ER doc had to see it 1st.  

When I got home, I checked the stoma and the bleeding had stopped.  It was coming from deep inside the stoma.  I rested the remaining part of the day and there has been no blood today.

thank you for your help.

Mary

Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:06 pm

Hi I'm sure this is not your case.  But I had severe bleeding from the stomach due to liver disease.  If you suspect you have liver disease then I can explain.  But you should get it checked out because at the time I didn't know as nd thought it was a aroma issue butd the colorectal surgeon told me it abnormal to bleed a lot from the stomach.

Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:52 pm
Brown eyed girl wrote:

I have had bleeding around the stoma from irritation but I also have had bleeding come through the stoma if that is what you mean. Several years ago I passed what looked like red kool aid for several hours. At first I thought it was something I ate. When things didn't change I called my nurse practitioner. She seemed concerned, though I wasn't, and suggested I go in and have a blood count done to make sure it wasn't an internal major bleed. Turns out it was a major bleed! I was glad I called her because i didn't feel sick or tired or anything like I did when I was anemic before. The local doctor admitted me to the hospital where I had scopes the next day. A clipped artery was found and fixed. Thought all was over. The next morning I started to hemorrhage again. Scoped again through stoma. They could find nothing. In the meantime I had to have a blood transfusion due to blood loss. The next day I swallowed the 'camera pill' which took thousands of pictures. Still found nothing. After a few days with no more bleeding I was allowed to eat a soft residue diet. This went fine. I was released a few days after that. This was about 6 years ago and it has never happened again. Just a freak thing......no idea how the artery was clipped. I hope your situation is more of an irritation issue instead of something crazy like mine!!

Be safe,

BEG

That is SO HELPFUL!  Thank you for sharing that!

Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:12 pm

Am glad I could be of some help. Glad to share experiences especially when I think they might be helpful!

Have a nice day!

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or MySpace account, or phone number. It will be removed by the Administartor.