Ostomy Travel Tips: Be Prepared & Stay Comfortable!

Replies
Views
Penguins7

I have a few tips for my ostomy friends out there when you travel locally or on extended trips: I never leave the house without an emergency change out. When I travel on an airplane, I carry a backpack with extra supplies and a change of underwear and a t-shirt and extra pants. I carry rolled up several toilet paper sheets (folded 5 times) and a 3 oz. container of baby oil (airlines allow up to 3 oz of liquid on carry-on) in a zip lock bag. The baby oil is a very inexpensive lubricant. The toilet paper in public facilities is difficult to unravel and very thin, and sometimes the roll is empty. This also speeds up the bathroom process if you happen to be out with business associates or friends. Safe travels! Penguins7

Angelicamarie

G'morning Penguins 7, very good topic, and needed information to those who travel. However, a tad bit late for me, I flew to NJ on the 5th of July and had some of the items that you spoke up, but not all. Thanks so much for sharing!!! Have a great day!!!

Angelicamarie

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,468 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Bill

Hello Penguins7.

I agree with Angelicamarie in that it is a good topic and one that comes up from time to time. It is very useful to have these tips as travelling can be quite a worry.

I took a couple of trips in the past weeks with my wife and daughter ( over from NZ) but we travelled in the car so all the equipment was to hand if if needed it - which thankfully I did not whilst on the journey. 

I declined to go to Germany with them this week but it was not because of the travelling but because there were six of them sharing accommodation with only one bathroom/toilet. The thought of it was just too much for me to contemplate so I'm staying at home this week and having all the comfort and facilities in my own home all to myself!  It's like having a holiday without going anywhere and I'm enjoying every minute of it.

I do also have another method of travelling to all those places I fancy going. I just close my eyes, concentrate, and find myself in whatever destination I choose, without the hassle of travelling by public transport. What a wonderful thing the cost-free virtual reality of dreaming is!  

Best wisdhes

Bill

MOST52

I do the same thing... carry an extra change of clothes. So far, never needed, but better to be prepared.

Mrs.A

Great tips from everyone. If I might add, don't forget a small bottle of hand sanitizer and some wet wipes as well. They can really come in handy when there isn't a private sink in public restrooms.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
LadyHope

Hi Penguins7, long time no chat. Hope all is well. So nice to hear from you. Thank you for the great tip. I never tried baby oil in my pouch. I really try and avoid emptying in an airplane or public restroom because they are average at best. The problem with me is the effluent is difficult to get out of my pouch without some water to rinse. Take care and thank you. Sincerely, Ladyhope

GraphX12

Hi LadyHope,

I need water also, so I always have 2 bottles of water with me in a small backpack, along with other supplies needed (wipes, etc.), at all times when I'm out.

Penguins7: Good tip on the toilet paper! Now why didn't I think of that? Agreed that public toilet paper isn't even good enough to blow your nose in!

Ewesful

I have made up a few Ziplock bags each having a precut ostomy bag, and all the stuff I need to do a change, plus a plastic bag for disposal.

I put one in the console of each vehicle I am apt to use. I also keep one in my pocketbook, the barn where I am apt to be, and any other frequented places. The panic of what to do is all over ---When I coming out of the hospital I feared being in a bad way somewhere and not knowing how to handle. After I was really up and about this plan worked super well.

Also if you are in a place and cannot wait out a line or whatever, release the bottom of the bag into your extra bag, tie a knot immediately and then wash with a handiwipe. It is amazing how easy and fast this can be -- also the used bag or contents is secure and can simply go in a receptacle when you pass by one. This is easy to do discreetly - just look about.

mamatembo

Has anyone done long-haul flights? If so, I need any of the hints you can give me. I have been to Kenya 29 times but haven't been back since my abdominoperineal resection for cancer. I feel quite comfortable at home, but don't know how I would do on a long-haul flight.

Along with several pre-cut wafers and several bags, is one allowed to carry a peribottle in their carry-on to rinse out your bag if necessary? Has security let you get through with a 1 oz spray can of Lysol Air spray in your carry-on to freshen up the lavatory before you leave it? Great idea some have given to carry an extra set of clothing if needed. I know plane lavatories are often occupied and am concerned that if there is gas in the bag and lavs are full I wouldn't be able to burp the bag. Do bags really ever burst? I think I would pack half of one month's supply in my check-in bag and half in my carry-on. Does that seem reasonable? Lavatories at Schiphol Airport are also usually full, and I hate to think of having to rinse out my bag in a public bathroom. Has anyone found it a problem?

Once I am situated in the camp where I stay in Tsavo National Park, I won't have a problem there except being careful of food choices. I love their red cabbage slaw and also shredded carrots with either raisins or pineapple and haven't tried them since my ostomy. Hope I will still be able to eat them. From the time I leave my home until I get to camp is about 32 hours. I am almost 78 years old and I travel alone so I would be grateful for any hints you can give me before I dare book a trip.