Managing odor in public restrooms with an ostomy bag?

Replies
Views
LadyHope

I really do not like using public restrooms with a pouch. It is not convenient and very awkward. If I had one wish, I would wish that all public bathrooms had stalls with shelves so taking care of a full pouch would be easier. It really frustrates me. I had an experience today and was so annoyed with the public bathroom set up in this one restaurant, I went home and then went back out to another restaurant for dinner. I was pissed off! The toilet paper kept tearing, the toilet was clogging, the other toilet in the ladies room was really low and my complaints go on and on.... Yes, I am alive because I had surgery to remove my colon but things like this make me upset and continue to remind me that I have an ostomy. I managed for 40 years to take care of other women's issues in all types of places but this is a real hassle. I want to figure it out and I can't seem to come up with a solution. Back to the drawing board, I guess. Thank you for letting me vent. Have a nice evening. LH

Angelicamarie

Good morning LadyHope. Truly, I understand. Sunday at church, I had to change my bag in church. In the bathroom, there are two stalls. By the grace of God, I was able to do it without making a mess. However, I learned something from you. I live for today and hope for tomorrow, so He knows. He will see us through all things. Be safe, angelicamarie.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,480 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Angelicamarie

Cdm, I use M-9 sometimes. Adapt doesn't work for me. However, I carry a bottle of water and when I empty it, I rinse it with the bottle of water. If I need more, I will get my clothes together before coming out of the stall and fill the bottle again. Then, I will put a little baby oil in the bag. I carry a small bottle of deodorizer that you can get from Walmart. After I have discarded the necessary stuff, I spray it in the stall, get my clothes together, and move out. But listen, I went to a public bathroom Sunday and it was horrible, but guess what? It wasn't me, lol. And she didn't have a stoma. Don't be so hard on yourself. No poo smells good!! Have a great day! Angelicamar

LadyHope

Thank you so much, Angelicamarie, for your post today. I appreciated it. I decided to fight my demons and went back to the restaurant tonight to have dinner... and Stanley, my stoma, behaved. The thing that I find very upsetting is that I can't be as spontaneous as I was prior to surgery. Usually, bathrooms never really upset me... if they were bad, I just managed somehow.... today I need to be more aware of the restroom situation and it bothers me. Thank you again for your uplifting post. I keep doing my best to move forward.... if I am not moving forward, I am falling behind. Take care and have a great remainder of the week. Sincerely, LH

iMacG5

I suggest the following:

Squirt a little Adapt lubbricating deodorant int the bage and try to squish it around the sides.

Then use the m9 drops, about 15 to 20 of them.

It works for me.  If you're not satisfied with the results you might experiment with the quantities or you might just say, "Screw it!  I'm in a restroom."

Respectfully

Mike

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
iMacG5

I submitted this a a long time ago.  It's mostly true.

The first time I emptied my bag in a public place was pretty funny. It was at a wedding. It was the first time since surgery my shirt tails were inside my pants. I was wearing suspenders. So, it was time, I went to the mens room, to the end stall, sat down and sprayed about a half a tube of breath freshener on the bag, in the toilet in the air, etc. about 5 seconds later a guy walks in with his little guy who's about three. He opens the door to the stall next to mine, sniffs audibly and says, "Wow Bobby, doesn't it smell nice in here?" Bobby and dad go about their business twice more mentioning how great it smells. They get done and dad says "Hey little guy, we gotta tell mommy about this place. It's smells beautiful. She'll want to go here" Obviously, while this was happening, I sat motionless, barely breathed and didn't begin my routine until they left. All went well but I was deathly afraid dad would bring the entire wedding party to the mens room. In closing, It's poop and it smells. Everyone's smells. (except my mother-in-law's).

Mike

LadyHope

Thank you for the reply and the encouragement. Even after 4 1/2 years, I still find life with a stoma frustrating at times and the times usually occur when I need to empty my pouch in a public restroom. I did face my demon the other day but frustration usually creeps up on me when I am fearful, tired, or hungry. This passage is part of a poem written by Max Ehrmann called the Desiderata... I was introduced to it many years ago when I was going through another rough period and continue to reference it. If you have an opportunity, Google it. It offers peaceful inspiration.

"Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune.
But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings.
Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.
Beyond a wholesome discipline,
be gentle with yourself.

You are a child of the universe,
no less than the trees and the stars
You have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
No doubt the universe is unfolding as it should."

Take care and thank you again. LH

julianatheory151

Ozium!! And M9 odor eliminator spray. Both can be purchased in small bottles to carry with you.

Cas523

3 or 4 squirts of Poo Pourri in the toilet helps immensely. I use it in public all the time.

iMacG5

We need to remember, IT's A SHITHOUSE".

Respectfully,

Mike