French Fry Experiences: Share Your Thoughts!

Replies
Views
freedancer

Have any of you eaten French fries? How have you done with them?

Bill

Hello freedancer.

I don't have a problem with them but everyone is different. Just try and see what happens.

Best wishes

BillĀ 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,473 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

anyark

No problem. However, as with most foods, don't overdo it and chew them well.

Immarsh

No problem here with French fries, as far as the ostomy goes. It's just a lot of fat, so if you're not used to eating a lot of fried food, you might notice a consistency difference.

Past Member

No problem with potatoes (regardless of how they are cooked). They do tend to thicken ileostomy output and slow things down.

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
spinbot

I had a blockage from them, however as others have said, keep in mind we all have differences in our issues that lead up to the ostomy. In my case, the ostomy had nothing to do with the blockage, but rather inflammation and scar tissue from my Crohn's Disease and past surgeries. For me, anything that is harder to break down in the body is a risk, especially if I don't chew enough. For me, I avoid almost all fresh foods (vegetables that are cooked until really soft are ok). I have difficulty digesting skins on fruits very well or at all, so they present a risk. French fries that are really crunchy are risky. I was buying 'Smiles' fries (not sure if they are just Canadian) as they were more of a mashed potato compressed into the small shape so they were consistent in how they were cooked. All that being said, I had a procedure when my G.I. doctor basically stuck her finger in my stoma to carefully tear some of my scar tissue and made my opening inside larger. Knock on wood, it's been almost 2 years and I've not had any blockages and I've eaten some high-risk foods (I had stir fry last night with snap peas, baby corn, and bean sprouts). I'm here telling my story today, so I survived the meal:)

Texasmade

I've eaten them numerous times and have no problem. The only "problem" I have is when I eat too much roughage. When I make a salad, I put in everything except the kitchen sink! Lettuce and tomatoes don't do it for me! Everyone's different.

Ngaire

Hi. Love them. No trouble at all. With a colostomy, you should just about be able to eat anything, providing you chew everything very well. And drink water. Cheers. Ngaire.

Homie With A Stomie NS

Me, me, and me love French fries, especially poutine. Oh my... processed and broke down just fine. Try it, chew, and enjoyyyyyyy....