Advertisement
ConvaTec - Bathing
Advertisement
ConvaTec - Me+ Join Today

Question about potatoes

Welcome to MeetAnOstoMate
17,233 Members
Posted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:24 pm

Have any of you eaten french fries??  How have you done with them?

Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:00 am

Hello freedancer.

I don't have a problem with them but everyone is different. Just try and see what happens.

Best wishes

Bill 

Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:21 am

No problem. However, as with most foods, don't overdo it and chew them well.

Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:53 am

No problem here with frennnnnch friess, as far as he ostomy goes.   I's just a lot of fat, so if you're not use to eating a lot of friend food, you might notice a consistancy difference. 

Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:00 am

No problem with potatoes (regardless of how they are cooked).  They do tend to thicken ileostomy output and slow things down. 

Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:31 pm

I had a blockage from them, however as others have said, keep in mind we all have differences in our issues that lead up to the ostomy.  In my case, the ostomy had nothing to do with the blockage, but rather inflammation and scar tisse from my Crohn's Disease and past surgeries.  For me, anything that is harder to break down in the body is a risk, especially if I don't chew enough.  For me, I avoid almost all fresh foods (vegatables that are cooked until really soft are ok).   I have digest skins on fruits very well or at all, so they present a risk.   French fries that are really crunchy are risky.  I was buying 'Smiles' fries (not sure if they are just Canadian) as they were more of a mashed potato compressed in to the smill shape so they were consistent in how they were cooked.   All that being said, I have a procedure when my G.I. doctor basically stuck her finger in my stoma to carefully tore some of my scar tissue and made my opening inside larger.  Knock on wood, it's been almost 2 years and I've not had any blockages and I've eaten some high risk foods (I had stir fry last night with snap peas, baby corn and bean sprouts).  I'm here telling my story today, so I survived the meal  Smile

Last edited by spinbot on Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:53 pm

I've eaten them numerous times and have no problem. Only "problem" I have is when I eat too much roughage. When I make salad, I put in everything except the kitchen sink! Lettuce & tomatoes doesn't do it for me! Everyone's different.

Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:41 pm

Hi.   Love them.  No trouble at all.   With a colostomy you should just about be able to eat anything, providing You CHEW emerything very well.  And drink water.   Cheers.  Ngaire.

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or MySpace account, or phone number. It will be removed by the Administartor.