Advertisement
ConvaTec - OstoMySecrets
Advertisement
ConvaTec - EASE Strips
Meet and talk to 19,700 OstoMates.
Meet and talk to 19,700 OstoMates.

What To Eat

Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:42 pm

I am struggling on what to eat because I have been told I can no longer eat my veggies, salads, nut, seeds ect. I am not a big meat eater. I was told no celery, onion, mushrooms ect. What do you guys eat?

Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:49 am

Hello dmp. I wrote a long reply to your post but it has just been lost to the computer gremlins that seem to bug this site. Unfortunately this inconvenience has pissed me off sufficiently to dissuade me from starting again. Thus, you will get the short version of what I was going to say: 

I am vegetarian; at first I liquidised my food but now I eat whatever does not adversly affect my digestive system and I cook it normally; Trial and error  seems to be the answer. but don't be too worried about the errors. 

Best wishes

Bill

Advertisement
ConvaTec - OstoMySecrets
Advertisement
ConvaTec - EASE Strips
Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:25 am

I'm not sure why you can't eat those veggies, salads, etc. I also have a colostomy and other than the first month or so after the surgery, when you have to watch what you eat until your colon adjusts, I can eat anything I want to with no problems. Is there some particular reason why you can't eat that stuff and everybody else can? People with ileostomies have to be careful with what they eat, but as far as I know, people with descending colostomies (if that is what you have) can eat anything, as you have a lot of colon left. I'd get a little further clarification from your surgeon on this if I were you. I would hate it if I couldn't eat whatever I want...but I can. So unless there is some specific reason why you can't eat those things that I'm not aware of...you can probably do it too.

Last edited by weirdnewlife on Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:20 am

Thank you for your input...I was told that I couldn't eat Brocolli, carrots, cauliflower, mushrooms, onions, green pepper and no been. I make chilli and homemade soups this time of year. I also cook in crockpot a lot because that is easier for me me with my RA. I did try chilli recently and the beans were in my bag. I amalso having problems with my meds in bag. My primary care is going to try to get me to Chapel Hill (it is a larger hospital around 3 hours away) My surgeon discharged me after post-op and doing a CT scan due to developing hernias. I was told the veggies and beans, and nut would block my stoma and yes I still have my rectum so I deal with that mucas plug. I even tried can veggies and rinsed of sodium as much as possible and they were in my bag. Thank you for your input. I live in the Wilmington, NC area not many specialalist in this field. We have one Colerectal surgeon. I was even told by a nutrisionist to eat baby food. Yuk, not happening. If you don't mind me asking you can eat steamed Brocolli and other steamed veggies.? 

Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:10 pm

I have s ileostomy and have problems with everything I eat some foods are worse then others I have a hard to eating but anyways praying it will go away and I’m pain always 

Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:52 pm

I am able eo eat eat just about every kind of fruit and vegetable. The key is to eat small amounts at a time, and chew thoroughly.

Experiment in the beginning, and chew,chew, chew.  Bananas are a good choise, of course, due to their texture.

Moderation in all things is of course, the key.

Best wishes.

Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:00 pm

Hi dmp,

You didn't say what kind of a colostomy that you have.  If it's a descending colostomy it's the same as mine.  I was told that after a month or so, when my colon was all healed up and adjusted, that I could go back to my regular diet.  Which I did.  As countyclare said, it's always good to chew everything well, though.  But, yes I eat steamed brocolli and other steamed veggies.  I also eat them raw.  I eat absolutely everything that I always ate before..with no problem.  If you have a descending colostomy like I do, it means you have a lot of colon left and by the time the food gets to your ostomy, it's all pretty well digested and nothing seems to ever block mine.  Including nuts, by the way.   Just try to chew thoroughly if you can remember to do so.  I don't usually remember to do that, but still haven't had a problem. (knock on wood) lol    Good luck to you.  I hope you can work it out.  Food is one of the joys of life.  It would be very hard for me to give any of my favorites up...and hopefully, you won't have to either.  Linda

Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:01 pm

Eat whatever you want, just in small portions at first to see how you get on with them 

Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:55 pm

I have colostomy as if October 23 and todaypte have not had any problems what so ever with any foods cook or raw. The only thing that bothers me a bit are nuts but they bothered me before my colostomy.  Wishing you luck 

Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:57 pm

Thank you everyone. I will try one veggie at a time this way if I have a problem I will know which ones to stay away from. I don't know why I was told this. I was told not to eat all sorts of stuff because it would block my stoma...Oh well, trial and error it will be...sick of eating oatmeal and gritts and greek yogurt. Oh, and by the way I have my rectum still and have a descending colostomy. Thank you everybody for your input... 

Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:08 pm

Good to try every thing in smal amounts! I eat everything and yes, sometime I have corn or orther whole kernels in my bag but it has not caused me any issues! Chew every thing extra well and enjoy! 

Pup

Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:35 pm

Which one do ya have? Colostomy can eat anything!

Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:22 am

I have an ileostomy. 

Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:23 am

I have an ileostomy. 

Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:23 am

I have an ileostomy. 

Go to page: 1, 2, 3  Next
* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or MySpace account, or phone number. It will be removed by the Administartor.