Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,226 members

What to Eat

Posted by NewlifeVictoria, on Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:53 pm

Hi thank you I stopped eating things with skin no salad I’m scared to eat stuff but anyway have a question is this the pain site for ostomatedating.com please help I paid for it and I got s cancelation idk what happen I’m going to call I guess yo that you Victoria NewlifeVictoria 

Reply by NJ Bain, on Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:28 pm

NewlifeVictoria,

I'm not sure what you are asking but ostomatedating.com is in no way affiliated with this site.  This site is meetanostomate.org.  If you paid for a membership on ostomatedating.com, you should have a confirmation email.  I would suggest contacting the administrator of that site.

Bain

Reply by mcdonna, on Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:36 pm

yep  its just trial and error ,,but avoid nuts, sweetcorn, mushrooms, dried fruit...all the obviousstuff that you know you cannot digest normally well

basically it is not rocket science....eat what is easily digestible for the first few months....and then try stuff,,,baked beans and all sorts of beans are not recommended...!!

Reply by NewlifeVictoria, on Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:36 am

Bain Thsnk you so much for your kindness it’s well appreciated and  I know that you live a life free of worrying about what you eat!! It’s awesome you can eat everything!! Amen, I hope you have a great day when, your reading this hope your feeling good! I’m not feeling it really has been a lot on me and can’t eat stuff from good for us, and I’m congested but anyway I’m hoping to feel better.....Have a great day.  Victoria 

Reply by Carolyn D, on Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:41 am

Hello, I’m new here, I’ve found that my diet has to be very very bland, but within those confines I still try to make interesting food.

There’s a lot you can do with pancakes, waffles, egg dishes, stews, softer breads, yogurt sauces, potato dishes, salmon. Veggies such as cooked beets, Carrots, green beans as long as they’re cooked asparagus tips, you can do stirfry, with carrots and beans and chicken and tofu just so long as there are no skins,spaghetti as long as the spaghetti sauce is pretty puréed. You can make

garlic bread as long as you use powdered garlic.  I’ve done hummus by puréeing soft garbanzo beans and regular black beans so that the skins are totally blended and that has worked, refried beans has worked in a soft burrito shell as well. I’m sorry you’re in pain, I sympathize and empathize as my ileostomy has become herniated and it’s just hurts all the time but I don’t have Gastro problems, I don’t know if that’s what you’re referring to, 

Reply by NewlifeVictoria, on Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:50 pm

Hi Carolyn l,Hi How are you doing? Hope your feeling good today? Thank you for all the info I appreciate it so much and do just that stuff to, but I think somethings are really turning to fat that’s it and I’m getting weight on me I never had before, I’m trying to figure out what to eat differently because what I’m doing isn’t working... So your in pain to? People say there not? You have scar tissue to? You please text write me anytime please thank you,,, are you having good days?Please let’s chat ok thank you even if we just text would be good if you like ok Sincerely Victoria 

Reply by NewlifeVictoria, on Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:28 pm

Bill write back please Victoria 

Reply by NewlifeVictoria, on Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:53 pm

Hi everyone I have to say I had a colostomy and now I have a ileostomy and I had 4 major surgeries and I have to say foods of all sort bother me anything,, I’m going to do smoothies and baby food and chew the soft goods I cook like carrots no broccoli and Califlower and I have to say just being careful and I’m time I will try some other things but not everything mushy and soft and I do alittle chicken and turkey and eggs, yogurt soft things and becareful in time I will not be in so much fear,,, I started to eat everything and had problems, so happy eating food to keep us healthy and vitamins and I gained weight have to exercise it’s been a lot since Jan 2018 to now so I’m going to try to be more careful ok just saying I’m reading most eat anything but I can’t 😢but I don’t want the cramps and have to pull stuff out of stoma as I did the coleslaw ok thank you 🙏 have a great time with trying new things and new foods and chew about 50 times? EAT TO LIVE , not just to eat this is what I did I like good but it’s different now I’m watching what I eat soup and I’m not feeling good so I have to make changes ok happy eating and having fun. NEW LIFE VICTORIA ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️🙏🙏❤️🙏❤️

Reply by looking forward, on Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:19 pm

try a bit of something at a time.. i  can eat salads ( without tomatoes etc) cut very small. that was a hurdle for me. also can drinkcarbonated beverages

Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:43 pm

Hi. Try the LOW FODMAP diet. Book Ref is ISBN 978-0-09-195535-9 Authors Dr Sue Shepherd & Dr Peter Gibson. Onion & garlic in particular can cause a lot of problems for some people. 
N.B. You probably know this, but if diverticulitus was the underlying/ original cause of bowel problems, should never eat seeds or nuts (unless well ground up) nor pips.  

Reply by Bill, on Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:26 am

Hello Newlife Victoria. Thankyou for your post and the explanation of your own journey, which helps explain where you are now. 

There does seem to be a few differences between what is possible regarding food intake with colostomies and ileostomies. However, there are some basic principles which seem to apply to both. Start out experimenting with small amounts of food you like so that you can identify any which might cause problems ( and avoid them). chew everything well (possibly more than you would normally). If this is difficult, try putting food into a blender before it goes into your mouth. 

I found that there were foods that I could not eat at first, but further down the line I was able to introduce them slowly again and now I can eat almost everything I like.  If I have a problem I drink Metamucil, which has the effect of pushing everything through the system gently and it seems to relieve any pain that is caused by food congestion. 

Best wishes

Bill

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.