Colostomy Reversal Recovery: Progress and Support

Replies
Views
Debbie

I had a colostomy reversal 2 weeks ago after a gastric perforation related to diverticulitis in Oct 2018. It has been a tough recovery but all seems to be improving at this time. At first, bathroom trips were 4-6 times per day and have become less frequent now. Staples came out yesterday and the wound looks great. Currently on a low fiber diet. Eating small frequent meals. Starting to venture out of the house with friends. Can now sleep on my side again. Just wanted to provide some support for anyone that is thinking of having a reversal. I was so scared before surgery and almost skipped it due to fear and anxiety.

Bill

Hello Debbie. Thank you so much for your post. So often people have successful reversals and simply drift away from the MAO site without providing feedback. If there were more posts like yours, then the pre operation anxiety might be alleviated.

Best wishes 

Bill

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,370 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Bagface

Debbie, thanks so much for posting. My ileostomy reversal is coming up soon and I'm a tad nervous, so reading stories like yours makes me feel much better. I wish you continued success!

Puppyluv56

It is nice to hear success stories on reversals. Like Bill said, many have success, but go back to living and don't report on it! Lately, I have seen several great stories and am so happy that some are able to go back to a normal poo!

Congratulations!

Puppy

Past Member

Hi Debbie,

I'm so glad you posted this on reversing the colostomy.

I had similar problems in Oct. 2016. Diverticulitis caused me to have surgery and ended up with a colostomy. I want to have the surgery to reverse this..but I'm anxious, fearful, not sure if I want to go through all of the things necessary to try to get back to normal.

Any advice or comments will be appreciated. I see the surgeon on the 28th of January. Saw him and am scheduled for reversal on March 26th. Am I too old to go through the reversal? I know what I'm in for.

Any suggestions will be helpful.

Thank you.

Asiam

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Puppyluv56

If I ever had a choice, I would certainly try to go back to normal! You can always go back to a bag but you cannot always go back to normal! I understand the risk and the recovery but all in good time to become normal, oh yeah!

Pup

Bagface

Hi Debbie - Thanks for posting your story. I'm going to have my ileostomy reversal on Feb. 5th. Six months ago, I had emergency surgery for toxic megalon. Tests showed no cause, so the doctors are saying it could have been caused by an infection that wasn't detected or extreme stress. Another doctor is calling it "...of undetermined origin." Since I have no colon, I'll have to adjust to going to the bathroom more often. Of course, I'm nervous about the surgery, so reading your success story helps a lot! I wish you continued success!

Bagface

Debbie, have you gained or lost weight since your reversal?

Past Member

Hi. Try the low FODMAP diet. It worked wonders for me after my reversal. Recommended by my GP and transformed my life. No longer spend the whole evening in the bathroom. Book Ref is ISBN 978-0-09-195535-9. Authors Dr. Sue Shepherd and Dr. Peter Gibson