Advertisement
ConvaTec - OstoMySecrets
Advertisement
ConvaTec - EASE Strips
Meet and talk to 19,873 OstoMates.
Meet and talk to 19,873 OstoMates.

Colostomy Reversal

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:35 pm

I had a colostomy reversal 2 weeks ago after a gastric perforation related to diverticulitis in Oct 2018. It has been a tough recovery but all seems to be improving at this time. At first bathroom trips were 4-6 times per day and has become less frequent now. Staples came out yesterday and wound looks great. Currently on low fiber diet. Eating small frequent meals. Starting to venture out of the house with friends. Can now sleep on my side again. Just wanted to provide some support for anyone that is thinking of having a reversal. I was so scared before surgery and almost skipped it due to fear and anxiety. 

Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:39 am

Hello Debbie. Thank you so much for your post. So often people have successful reversals and simply drift away from the MAO site without providing feedback. If there were more posts like yours, then the pre operation anxiety might be alleviated.

Best wishes 

Bill

Advertisement
ConvaTec - EASE Strips
Advertisement
ConvaTec - Moldable Technology
Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:47 am

Debbie, thanks so much for posting. My ileostomy reversal is coming up soon and  I'm a tad nervous, so reading stories like yours makes me feel much better. I wish you continued success!

Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:08 pm

It is  nice to hear success stories on reversals. Like Bill said, many have success,  but go back to living and don’t report on it! Lately , I have seen several great stories and am so happy that some are able to go back to a normal poo! 

Congratulations!

Puppy

Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:30 pm

Hi Debbie,

I'm so glad you posted this on reversing the colostomy. 

I had similar problems in Oct. 2016.  Diverticulitis cause me to have surgery and ended up with a colostomy.  I want to have the surgery to reverse this..but I'm anxious, fearful, not sure if I want to go through all of the things necessary to try to get back to normal.  

Any advice or comments will be appreciated.  I see the surgeon on the 28 of January. Saw him and am scheduled for reversal March 26th.  Am I to old to go through the reversal?  I know what I'm in for.

Any suggestions will be helpful. 

Thank you.

Asiam 

Last edited by Asiam on Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:45 pm

If I ever had a choice, I would certainly try to go back to normal! You can always go back to a bag but you cannot alway go back to normal! I understand the risk and the recovery but all in good time to become normal, oh Yeah! 

Pup

Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:28 pm

Hi Debbie- Thanks for posting your story. I'm going to have my ileostomy reversal on Feb. 5th. Six months ago I had emergency surgery for toxic megalon.Tests showed no cause, so the doctors are saying it could have been caused by an infection that wasn't detected or extreme stress. Another doctor is calling it "...of undetermined origin." Since I have no colon, I'll have to adjust to going the bathroom more often. Of course I'm nervous about the surgery, so reading your success story helps a lot! I wish you continued success!

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:45 pm

Debbie, Have you gained or lost weight since your reversal?

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or MySpace account, or phone number. It will be removed by the Administartor.