Irrigation of Stoma

Replies
Views
Stillkicking

I have had my stoma for almost 4 years. I have never done irrigation or had it blocked. Wondering why some people do self-irrigation?

mild_mannered_super_hero

Irrigation is a way to get your active lifestyle back. Not everyone qualifies as you must have some descending colon left and it must be healthy. What type of ostomy do you have?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,358 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Bill

Hello Stillkicking. In answer to your question -- It's like most things in life, I do it because I want to! It frees me up to do many other things (I also want to do)  during the day without the restriction of having to wear a pouch/ bag/ appliance or whatever else we would like to call it.

Best wishes

Bill

Puppyluv56

Still kicking,

Irrigation gives you life some sense of normalcy! You are not worried about having to empty your pouch while out. It takes less time per day than emptying your pouch and cleaning up several times a day! Since I started irrigation, I have zero worries about going and doing anything! My ostomy does not even enter into the decision making! It used to be the first thought!

nolefan48

I have had a colostomy since 2001. I started irrigation about 2005. It changed my life completely. I do not wear a bag anymore. Now I wear a patch. The patch looks like a giant bandage. I would highly recommend irrigating but speak to your ostomy nurse prior to see if you are a candidate. Removing the bag and replacing with a patch changed my life.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister