Advertisement
ConvaTec - OstoMySecrets
Advertisement
ConvaTec - EASE Strips
Meet and talk to 19,950 OstoMates.
Meet and talk to 19,950 OstoMates.

Itching And Irritation Under Barrier.

Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:32 pm

I think this is the question I have   After changing my pouch and several days later   my skin next to my stoma and around and under  the barrier starts to itch and becomes irritated,  some one mentioned   that they used calamine lotion and then stoma powder  Has anyone else used this and would it cause the pouch to not stick, "

Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:10 pm

The person who replied is a '**'.

Look up cavilon 3343e, it acts like

a plastic film around your stoma, uro or colo.

acts like and works to protect the area.

Hey ho

Best wishes

steve

Advertisement
ConvaTec - EASE Strips
Advertisement
ConvaTec - OstoMySecrets
Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:54 am

I've never tried calamine lotion, but any kind of lotion or stoma powder can interfere with the sticking of the skin barrier.  Do try the protective liquid skin barriers like Steve said.  They might help protect the skin.

Doing the irrigation will probably help too.  Once you get that down, you can "air out" your skin for long periods of time if you wish and that can certainly help with any skin condition.  Good luck to you.

Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:46 pm

If it's possible I would change to another make of pouch or try some free samples if you can get any see if that helps with your skin, you could of become alergic to the ones your using 

Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:44 pm

I use calamine and stoma powder since I had my ostmy six months ago. The nurse told me then to also use a adhesive spray on skin and wafer have no had any problem with itching or pouch sticking. No leaks either. I do use a barrierring because of how my stoma is a little recessed

Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:19 pm

I found the Hollister was the best product for me to use.  It seemed that Convatec and NuHope did that to me.  In the beginning even with Hollister I noticed I was getting a rash on my skin where the bag hung.  I called my nurse and she mentioned I had to make sure that bag gets dry after a shower and I should get powder for athlete foot.  That the moisture causes a fungus on the skin.  I use a two piece and change the bag daily to make sure its dry.  I rinse out the used one and use it one more time when its dry.  That has cured that issue.  I know you said yours was under the barrier, but I just wanted to add another piece of information I that found worked.  Good Luck!

Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:24 pm

Hi Sis, that sounds fungal, bit rare but yeh.

Back to L red, if as has been mentioned you

may have a glue/bag allergy, made worse by

the moisture and heat around your stoma.

Sue was allergic to so much on her skin, probably

including me lol.

Anyway, the bags she was fine with eventually and

she didn't react to were 'Welland Aura', they have manuka

honey in the base glue, uro/colo etc, anti allergenic 

steve

Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:43 pm

Good Morning, 

I suggest you try using Eakin Cohesive Seals (ConvaTec). They come twenty seals to a box. They are soft , pliable, sticky rings. 

Cut through the seal with a scissors and wrap it around the edge of the stoma so the skin immediately around the stoma is protected from moisture.

Then proceed to place the connected wafer and pouch in place to cover the stoma. The cohesive seal will keep the skin area around the stoma nice and dry.

Try not to eat or dring anything after midnight on the day you are planning to change your appliance.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions or concerns.

Mike from Lakewood, Ohio

Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:16 pm

Good morning right back to you.  I do have box,s of barrier rings  but they are  Hollister  which may not make a difference,  They are made so I can  adjust. size them,  i did use them a couple of times    I guess I should try them again,  at my last change  yesterday  because of a leak I  used a skin prep and Stoma powder layered,  and will change that in  2 or 3 days,  I usually can go 5 to 7days,  but because of this irritation itching  and redness I have developed around my stoma  I am doctoring it now   Thank  you for the sugestion  I will try it.

Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:16 pm

I discovered frequent soaks in the bath weakened the seal and made it moist which caused a red itchy rash. Then I put on some prescription cream (like neosporin but stronger) and word to the wise...dont...the slimy texture means your seal looks sealed and yet isnt and you will have a leak. I cant irrigate so I just put a napkin under my stoma, added thenorescriotion cream, wiped it off after 10 mins, quick rinse off, add stoma powder and put a new bag on. It wasnt a perfect solution but the rash lessened.

Also my skin is weird...for a while it didnt like Hollister adhesive and now it does..minus dummy me getting it moist.

Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:32 am

I talked to my ET nurse  she told me to cut up a bag/pouch  take a small piece of the barrier and place it on the inside of an arm,  leave it there for a few days and then I would know if I have an allergy to the adheasive.   well I did and nothing happened so I guess I am doing something wrong,  so back to square one.  Remeasure and try different  ideas.

Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:39 am

I also have a question.  can I put my bag directly over stoma powder or should I use  a  skin protective wipe, then  stoma powder another Wipe and then apply the bag   also when measuring  should I measure all the way to the outer edge of my stoma where it was stitched on my skin or just the stoma part itself 

Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:43 pm
Hi Little Red, My name is Marsha, and I've had my ileostomy for over 50 years and a few years after the original surgery ( I was 19) I had the diseased rectum removed. I was young, and it was a long time ago, but it was a process. Get your patience, and sense of humor ready.. There are no " stupid" questions, and we all make mistakes, but trial and error is the best teacher, as well as reaching out to others for advice. So try to refrain from calling yourself names....we all do make mistakes, so you need to be kind to yourself.. 1) yes, you can put the wafer/ bag directly over the stoma powder. If not, I've been doing it wrong for over 40 years. Actually, I've tried it all ways. using a variety of different products, to see what works for me. I have very sensitive skin, and am careful not to use soap, or body wash, around the stoma site. I gave up baths, years ago, because the hot water, softened the seal, and alowed for leaks, and it also softened the skin, and left a film that I didn't need. These days, I only take a bath, or use a hot tub, on a day I know I'm going to change... BTW, cold water doesn't have much of an effect, so I often go in the ocean, or pool, and rarely have a leak. I recently went to a stoma therapy clinic, and they advised using the powder, and then the wipe,....which made no sense to me. So now, I'm not sure which iss the " right" way, Right, is what works for you. My procedure...is to shower with the wafer/ pouch on. Remove after....wash skin with very hot water, and then with very cold water, to close the pores, and sooth the skin. Air dry. I use a new wipe....Safe n Simple, to first clean off the skin ( after the shower) . It's bigger than most wipes, and feels better than a wash cloth, and doesn't fall apart like toilet tissue... It will also remove adhesive...( When I have a lot of adhesive left on the skin, I use unisolve, but be sure to wash it all off) When the skin is clean, I use smith and nephew skin prep, which prepares the skin, and then use the stomahesive powder. Once dry....I put on the wafer ( Convatec moldable/ convex) If I have a gap between the wafer and the skin beneath the stoma, I fill it in with stoma hesive powder, ( or sometimes use stomahesive paste) Then I attach the pouch, and tape the edges of the wafer using a non allergic tape. It works for me....except when it doesn't. So on ocassion, I use other products, or more or less of the same product...if I have no leakage, I can change in less than 5 minutes... Feel free to write, if you have any other questions. Best regards, Marsha
Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:10 pm

Marsha  thanks for your understanding,  I have a girl friend that has had a colostomy for over 50 years also  because of Chrons  wnen she was  6. But she dosen't want to talk abut it  I really appreciate the members on this site they have been very helpful.   I am going to do as many have suggested  Hit and miss.  I will be changing more.  3 or 4 days instead if my usual 5 or 7  and see if that helps  and now if I can figure out just how to measure my stoma  I will be set for awhile.    I shower with my bag on and then change.  I clean around it with water only and then dry or let dry uncovered for at least 10min.  then apply my appliance. I use Hollister 8331  drainable 1 piece,  I have tried others but don't really care for them.    I did really like another by Hollister but they stoped making it. .Last nite after having dinner I had sat down to watch the boob tube and I got a pain like I never had before on my right side  it about sent me to the roof   It was on my lower right side not my stoma side.   It was gone in seconds,  and then I felt my stoma expell gas.   has anyone else experianced this sort of pain. I have had it befor  only near my stoma.  could this be gas pains I have heard about ??  Lord it hurt.......

Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:16 pm

I was told to never use any kind of lotion around my appliance, as it will not stick. 

Go to page: 1, 2, 3  Next
* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or MySpace account, or phone number. It will be removed by the Administartor.