Finding Solutions for Pants with an Ileostomy

Replies
Views
Mysterious Mose

One of the issues I have had since getting my ileostomy is a common one. That is wearing pants. My weight has been a yo-yo all my life. During COVID, my weight ballooned to 220 pounds. During 2022, I managed to get it back to my "natural" weight of 175. Then there was the 3 months in the hospital that had me at 138 when I was discharged on 6 March of this year. Since then, I have gained 30 pounds and am back to my "natural" weight minus the 7.5 pounds for my colon.

I could not wear any of my pants from last year, but I have plenty of pants from the COVID days. Those I can wear with suspenders. However, wearing suspenders adds some complications when changing my bag. Mostly when I am wearing a garment over the suspenders and making sure the braces are not twisted when getting redressed. Not such a big problem if you only poop once a day. A different story when it is five to six or more times a day. At least it is for me. Plus, I couldn't wear my "fat boy" pants (sweats and the like) unless I wore them above the stoma, by which I don't feel comfortable.

So, I started looking into products that would help me wear clothes without suspenders and at their proper place, which is directly over the stoma. As with everyone else here, I was taken aback at the prices for simple things that cover the stoma. I am getting tired of enduring such high prices for something (I hope) is temporary. So, I opted for the StomaDome that is available on Amazon for $60. Now, I can wear my smaller jeans, but I have to wear them without a belt. The rounded shape of the dome is not conducive for a belt to stay in place. Making it tight enough not comfortable and puts too much pressure around the stoma. But, I am now able to wear my "fat boy" pants and can wear most of my shorts without the suspenders. If warm weather ever comes back to Colorado, I can go back to my short pants routine. Retirement is great that way. :-)

Sorry for the long post. Just wanted to document my experience thus far. It's been an interesting journey that has freaked out my children much more than it has me. As I kept telling my nurses and doctors during my extended hospital stay, it is what it is. So, let's continue moving forward and enjoying life as it is and not dwelling on what it was. 'Cause it ain't that no more! :-)

--Daniel

eefyjig

Great attitude, Daniel!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,375 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

HenryM

Daniel:  I'm assuming that your stoma is near your waistline since you say you're uncomfortable wearing pants above the stoma.  Is that right?  My stoma is 3" below the line of my navel on the left side, and so I have no issue with the pants waistline situated between the two.  But I still tried the StomaDome that you referenced, particularly to see how it affected my wearing jeans and how it helped re the car seatbelt.  It did help some, but I ended up not using it because the weight of the "dome" on my pouch pulled it down, which was uncomfortable to me as I wear bikini underwear that doesn't provide any support for the weight of the dome.  A t-shirt will hold it in some, but it still bothered me.  The attitude which you display in your post is a good one and will get you through this.  Thumb's up, man.  HenryM  

Mysterious Mose
Reply to HenryM

Thanks, Henry. My stoma is just maybe an inch above the navel on the right side. It's right about where I wore the belt in my bagless days. I am 75 years old and way beyond feeling self-conscious about wearing baggy pants and suspenders. But, I do like to feel comfortable wearing my shorts and fat boy pants. :-)

So far, the StomaDome is okay and I don't yet feel like it is weighing down the bag. But then, I usually do not let my bag get all that full. I wear boxer briefs and they fit under the bag and over the very bottom of the barrier. I generally wear longish tees and I tug the shirt around the bag. That does take some weight off. I also usually fold the bottom of the bag and hold it with a clip. This is because I use Velcro bags and I am a little paranoid about the end coming open. This has only ever happened once and it was because I foolishly burped my bag without getting out of bed and then was careless in closing it. I'll never do that again. Once was enough.

Attitude is everything, isn't it? :-)

Daniel

AlexT

Look into a Lizard Tail belt. It's made from climbing rope and can be adjusted to whatever tightness you want, unlike most belts that are wide and have limited adjustability. I wear one daily at work.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Mysterious Mose
Reply to AlexT

Well, I don't have one of the rope style belts, but I do have 3 web style stretch belts. The problem is always the same. It slips off the dome either up or down. A more flattened shape would be better, I think. Either way, I am trying to be careful about how much money I throw at this. I am still planning to try the reversal route in October or so. It's a good thing I have lots of suspenders and lots of pants that are too big for me. :-)

--Daniel

CrappyColon

I may have oversimplified things in my brain... Is buying new pants/clothes that fit how you want/need them to not an option?

Mysterious Mose
Reply to CrappyColon

I have enough long pants from a former version of my waistline to cover any need for such attire. It is finally getting warm enough that the short pants come out. At least until it cools down in the evening and it's fat boy pants time. They all have elastic waistbands. So, there is no need for new purchases. Besides, I'm a guy that used to live out of a backpack. I have way too many clothes the way it is. :-)

--Daniel

CrappyColon
Reply to Mysterious Mose

Daniel, so my husband asked me how I could live with only what was in my hiking backpack for a summer in Kenya vs how many clothes I actually have. I told him it's just different here

Mysterious Mose
Reply to CrappyColon

I lived out of a backpack for 5 years in the early 70s. The country was full of transients like me. Different times, different folks.

--Daniel