Anxiety and Depression after Ileostomy Surgery: Seeking Information on Serotonin Connection

Replies
Views
looking forward
Nov 25, 2018 2:24 pm

Hi Bruce, I can certainly relate to your story and I have not had my surgery yet.

looking forward
Nov 28, 2018 12:14 am

Oh, you poor thing.. I am about to have a permanent ileostomy on Thursday. I knew months ago I was depressed and my doctor put me on Cymbalta. It has helped and I can even take it on my day of surgery. Try it, just might help. I live alone, so that is also part of the depression.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 35,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

StuLip
Sep 18, 2023 2:04 pm

Geo1958, I've been looking at the same thing.

With increasing science linking the close relationship between serotonin and the colon, I'm amazed that there hasn't been research on ostomy patients and that relationship.

I went in voluntarily because my health was so bad, I had a terrible case of UC and nothing helped, then I got Enteropathogenic E. coli and cryptosporidium last summer from a pool or lake. Too much damage, couldn't recover.

Anyway, I've never experienced depression or panic attacks until after my surgery (which I opted for and was prepared for). I think the medical community would be doing a disservice not to consider the link because it was unexpected and really difficult to work through.