Support and Advice for New Ostomates - You're Not Alone!

Replies
Views
Angelicamarie

G'morning

There are a lot of new ostomates joining or thinking about it. Many feel alone. How do I know? Because I have felt the same way.

Some may post and some may be shy, afraid of being judged. Well, for sure there are many that won't judge you.

You may feel like there are those that have had their ostomies for so long they don't care. Not so, many do!

There is so much knowledge here because each one that is an ostomate has a story with experience.

Keep in mind, what works for some might not work for others. Every one of us has a different digestive system.

Many have had a colostomy, ileostomy, and urostomy. Each one can tell their story of what they went through - thus you put all that together, much knowledge.

I have a colostomy in which I can irrigate. Now listen, it doesn't work for everyone. So if you try and it doesn't work, it's just your system. We all differ.

By the way, I'm one that can't go 24 to 48 hours like some of my fellow ostomates. Periodically it works, not daily, and yes, I wear a pouch.

Many have families yet feel alone. I get it, I was there too. Initially, I was frightened to go out for fear of leaks, perhaps even shame.

I have experienced humiliation out in public, in the beginning after surgery. I survived!

Did I ever have a mess where I had to change my bedding? Absolutely, on occasions it still happens. Thank goodness it's in my home.

Did my skin become irritated sometimes? Yes, of course, and still does. Look, if your poop eats through the rubber, surely it will affect your skin.

On the same note, there are many that differ in when they change their equipment. You have to do what's best for you as an individual.

Of course, our bodies are different. Some have their buttocks sewn shut and some don't. I didn't, however, I do pass mucus, which is old residue.

Was it frightening when it first happened? Why yes, of course. It still occurs periodically, more than I would like it to happen.

You may even have to empty more than others. Wow, it was so easy going to the bathroom 1 to 2 times a day, and now it seems like it never ends.

You're not alone......

Do I have answers for everything? Heck no... But I can tell you what I've been through and maybe it will help...

Those that are struggling because of this surgery, you're not alone. Learn all that you can. Remember, each one of us is different, so don't beat yourself up.

Hang in there!

Angelicamarie

Bill

Hello Angelicamarie.

What a lovely, realistic message, which hopefully will encourage newcomers to participate in conversation with us on this site.

Best wishes

BillĀ 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,380 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Angelicamarie

G'morning Bill, thanks, perhaps it will!

Angelicamarie

Angelicamarie

Hi, Ron and Jimky1, thanks!

Past Member

Angelicamarie,

Thank you, again. You are such an inspiration for many people here. Well written, to the point and you write in a way that people understand. You are a wonderful person and much appreciated!

Again, take care.

Songbird

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Angelicamarie

G'morning Songbird, Morning Glory, and Bc. I'm so used to seeing comments on the post in writing. Never do I want those that enjoyed anything that I posted thinking they were overlooked. Thanks!

Angelicamarie

scorsby

Angel.

Very good, very comprehensive and very honest.

Written from the heart, and I know that people will take inspiration from sharing your experience.

Well done Angel and thank you.

John

Angelicamarie

Thank you, John!