Need advice on Medline Marathon for painful ostomy issues

Replies
Views
newyorktorque

I just returned from the hospital where I was treated for a nasty infection around the stoma amongst other medical issues. Some areas around the ostomy were so broken down that tried and true remedies (nystatin, skin barrier wipes, etc.) were not working and I could not get a bag to stick. The pain was so unbearable I was treated with morphine and hydrocodone throughout my stay. Fortunately, I was visited by the wound care nurses at the hospital. I brought my own supplies and cut the bag adding barrier rings (I need to use). The nurses cleaned up the (very red, irritated) skin then applied Medline Marathon. That stuff burns! They did, however, get the bag to stick. I am still in a lot of pain and eating burns as well.

Have any of you folks used this? It's very expensive and I haven't even tackled the Medicare issue (will they cover this) yet. I was told this dries very fast. Although I am home now, I am scared of the pain I may incur in an effort to remove this bag. The nurses gave me 2 vials of Marathon liquid and I am also afraid of the pain during application. Tips, comments, ideas are all welcome. Thank you!

OstomySister

How sticky is Medline Marathon, sorry we've never used them. But if they are as sticky as the Coloplast Skin barriers. We've used this magical spray called Sensi-Care Sting-Free Releaser Spray for a year now and we can't live without it ; https://www.ostomysecrets.com/sensi-care-sting-free-releaser-spray-150-ml. It works every time, even removes Tagaderm pain-free, no redness, and pulling incessantly.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,460 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Uro2011

I use Marathon and it's amazing stuff. It dries fast and leaves a hard type of shell over your skin that gives it time to heal. I live in Canada and my extended health covers it, but it's expensive. It's about $14 per little vial/tube. I use it before every pouch change as a preventative measure. Amazing stuff! It was a lifesaver for me.

nwcurtis

I used a combination of Nystatin and Desitin as a paste.

newyorktorque

Well, thanks all! I had to change my bag today and was worried that the marathon substance would make pulling off the old bag difficult, but it was no different than any other day. You were right, URO2011, it did give my skin a barrier under which to start to heal. There was still some redness but not like before I went into the hospital and couldn't get a bag to stick at all. There is still some pain but not as bad. I hope this means my skin is on the mend. I hope I don't need it, but I did order a small box of Medline Marathon, just in case.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Uro2011

Keep using the Marathon until your skin fully heals and then you can stop. I also spray hydrogen peroxide on the skin around my stoma and let it sit for a bit before dabbing it dry and then putting the Marathon skin barrier on. It helps kill any bacteria. Doing both helps my skin heal quickly. Good luck!