Safe snacks for ileostomy patients?

Replies
Views
w30bob

Hi Jubes,

Yeah, I hear you. I guess I don't consider the 29 grams of sugar that much because it's in a liter (32 oz), which is like 4 servings of a cup apiece. So that would be like 7 grams per serving......if you only drank a cup (8 oz). Hang in there.........things do get better with time. We've all been where you are and understand your feelings......although that doesn't help you with yours. Slowly things will start to gel and as you get the hang of what you can and can't eat.......it gets easier and you can spend some time thinking about other things. We're here for you!

Regards,

Bob

w30bob
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,470 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Bill

Hello Bob. 

Thank you so much for the explanation of your experimentation with ORS.

I don't have these problems so have no use for the solutions. However, I do appreciate when someone perseveres with experimentation, knowing that the outcomes may be uncertain. It seems to me that this individual effort is the most productive way that 'we' find solutions to those problems which are not necessarily taken on by manufacturers because there is unlikely to be any profit in it for them. Keep up the good work!

Best wishes

Bill

GraphX12

Thanks for the info, Bob! I will be looking into it.

Doug

Jubilee

Yet another question regarding snacks, are rice cakes recommended or taboo?

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
w30bob

Hi Jubes,

Puffed rice seems easy to digest, compared to rice in its natural form. But I'm speaking from my experience, so let's see what the others have to say.

Regards,

Bob

Jubilee

Perhaps most members didn't try rice cakes as there was no more feedback.

What about a bacon sarnie? Would that be tolerable for an ileostomy's diet?

xnine

Chew, chew, chew. Rice cakes are like eating air. I do not eat them. Bacon is good.

Jubilee

I'm sorry to keep asking about diet that should be suitable for ileostomies, but as a newbie, I'd rather learn from those who can share what they found suitable and didn't cause more output or continuous loose output.

I found that white sauce in my fish pie seems to cause gas, or would it be the leeks I added to the sauce?

How have members coped with smoked fish? Is that a safe choice?

I have booklets with various suggestions for meals, but it's not varied enough to give me answers to most of the foods I'm asking about. Would there be a dedicated site with advice for those of us who are struggling to find a balance to suit and to gain weight? TIA

Lily17

Hi, Jubilee.

I don't do the rice cakes - I think the airy, spongy texture wouldn't allow for much digestion. (Sort of like Rice Crispies cereal - I avoid that, too.) I stick with high-grain crackers, multi-grain breads.

As for bacon, LOVE IT! Like Xnine wrote: Chew, chew, chew! Like mine crisp.

Yes, the leeks could be creating gas. Do an online search about "gassy" foods - what caused gas prior to the ileostomy may continue to cause gas. I really enjoy beans, but without my colon, I have found that there's less gas for me, now. (No longer a place for the beans to ferment.)

I have no issues with smoked salmon. The smoky scent does make its way to my pouch, though. (From smoked ham, too - but no big deal.) Smoked salmon, red onion rings, capers & tomato on top of a cream cheese-slathered Everything bagel...? Heaven! (Chew, chew, chew - sip, sip, sip!)

I don't know about a dedicated website for suitable food suggestions, but I like that you're still reaching out to us on MAO, Jubilee. :)

Lily17

Jubilee

Thank you, Lily17.

So safe enough to try smoked fish with poached egg... My concern is gas and output leading to leaks. Interesting that the gas-causing foods prior to ileostomy are the same foods that cause gas now despite passing the large bowel.

I'm finding it hard to understand how one can gain weight when food seems to pass so quickly.

Thanks again.

xnine

I had a further comment on bacon but did not post. Must have forgotten to hit reply. Anyway, I have a colostomy, so things are different for me than someone with an ileostomy. I think medium bacon might be a problem chewing it down where crispy bacon breaks up easier. Try one piece to see how it goes, but not ten.

Jubilee

Yes, I read that a colostomy is indeed very different and that nutrients aren't lost like they are with high output ileostomies.

It's really difficult getting the balance right.

Food that will not cause high output or gas is one bugbear. I'd like to start making milk puddings, but being diabetic, I have to find a sugar that doesn't raise sugar levels. Does anyone have advice on what one should use that wouldn't affect sugar levels or output? I know some artificial sugars cause loose output. Is there a suitable safe sugar substitute? TIA

w30bob

Hi Jubes,

There are safe sugar substitutes... as long as you're not a rat and consume incredibly large quantities of them. But there are also those that should be avoided. But the reasons to avoid are different for everyone, so your best bet is to make a list, then cross off those that specifically won't work for you. This is a big convoluted subject... so just Google "best artificial sweetener for diabetics" and start there. You'll probably end up with Stevia, or one of its incarnations... but you might find something that better fits your situation. My dietician told me as a rule of thumb... avoid sugar alcohols, as they don't play well with intestines.

Regards,

Bob

Jubilee

You were right, Bob. It seems Stevia is the preferred choice for diabetics, but unfortunately, it seems not to be for ileostomies and can cause very loose output. Have members found this to be true? I've been informed that any artificial/substitute sweeteners do cause loose output.

Lily17

Good morning, Jubilee.

As an ileostomate never having had diabetes, or consumed Stevia, I can't respond to its use. But, for me, artificial sweeteners (sucralose, aspartame, xylitol, saccharin) caused diarrhea prior to my colon being removed, and looser output, now. I try to avoid artificial sweeteners completely, and even list it as one of my "allergies" in my medical charts as some OTCs and prescription medications contain artificial sweeteners. Lately, I have found that some OTC chewable auto-immune boosting supplements do have artificial sweeteners. And that's unfortunate.

There appears to be much debate and concern over the consumption of Stevia, and its effect on health.

I did a brief web search on Stevia, and there were many hits/results. I read one article from a company that seemed to contain a lot of valuable information on both natural & artificial sweeteners, but - in the end - was promoting sales of its own product:

https://lyfefuel.com/blogs/lyfefuel/top-10-best-sugar-substitutes

The Mayo Clinic put out a short article on the topic:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/artificial-sweeteners/art-20046936

And, so did the Cleveland Clinic:

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/5-best-and-worst-sweeteners-your-dietitians-picks/

Happy reading! :)

Lily17

Jubilee

Lily 17

Thank you so much for the links and your research, lots of reading indeed.

Being diabetic makes the diet very restrictive, the last thing one wants is loose output. I think milk puddings would help one gain weight but of course sugar is needed, if one could use a natural like honey it would be bliss but I can't.

Lots of stewed apples (I use eating apples so I don't have to add any sweetener) or banana with yogurt gets a bit boring so looking for alternative desserts. Bored with this restrictive diet.

Many thanks.

Jubilee.

w30bob

Yeah, lots of discussion out there about sugars. This might also be a good read.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/323469&ved=2ahUKEwjw4fX5ha_tAhUAGFkFHdcTA_kQFjADegQIAhAE&usg=AOvVaw14zgM1lUlSmlpW1VhE0OQK

Regards,

Bob

Jubilee

Thanks so much for that link, Bob. Very informative. It's a minefield and really difficult to decide which would suit ileostomy and its moods/tolerances.

Regards

Jubilee