Decision to Forego Reversal Surgery at 75 - Grateful for Forum Support

Replies
Views
TnMike46
Reply to Mysterious Mose

Thanks for the reply, Terry. Yep, my parts are all there, except for a foot or so of the colon. The incontinence thing is concerning though.

Mysterious Mose

I have an acquaintance here that has half a colon and was reversed 30+ years ago. He doesn't have incontinence issues, but does often have diarrhea that forces some urgency. But, I have never asked him about his diet. I think that bile often has a lot to do with diarrhea and that can be somewhat mitigated through diet. Especially getting enough sodium and eating a low-fat diet. The colon absorbs most of the bile secreted by the liver/gall bladder. Those of us with an ileostomy are quite familiar with greenish yellow output caused by bile. It's funny how my wife no longer complains when I add salt to things like cantaloupe. :-)

Anyway, you should search this site for people with situations more like your own. Starting your own topic with a relative topic would help get more eyes on your question. When you get buried in an existing thread, many people are going to miss your questions. And there is also the likely issue that a lot of people with successful reversals may no longer even look at this site. However in my mind, once an ostomate, always an ostomate. :-))

Daniel

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,748 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Briutz

Hi Daniel, in July 22 I was lucky enough to have somehow been processed through the NHS system reasonably quickly to see the surgeon who was to perform the transformation from what I've always thought is the most ridiculous, awkward, fu**ing invisible, finger fu**ing poking, shite dripping location on the human body and turn that devil's abomination into a visible, controllable, ( erm that's a friggin' lie ) and manageable shit spitter, which he moved next to its belly button partner just above the other waste disposal unit. I didn't know of this great site then and his intention was to present me with an Ileostomy followed by a future reversal. He talked in detail about risks and what the differences were between an Ileo'' and a colostomy, then he told me that reversals were unfortunately running late due to demand and the influence of COVID, he said he and other colleagues were doing reversals from over 2 years ago and there was no way he could promise when I would get the reversal,... it could have stretched to 4 years or more before my turn came round. I asked for options and a non-reversible colon job was the answer. So, like others on this have said,.. and after a most daunting episode of indecision, I chose the colostomy and have absolutely no regrets and you know Daniel, both options are better than wiping an old arse that you have to guess whether you managed to get all the sneaky bits and that other folk you might have to be close to, for whatever reason, might just whiff a bit 'cos they don't know they left a little smelly 'skid mark' down the back hole area, HaHaHarr, dirty buggers.

Seriously Daniel, in the light of whatever reasons you and others like us have had to consider to make your decision, I find myself in awe of the problems our ostomates deal with on a day-to-day basis and for how you had to decide what must be one of the most important choices you've made since your op', and maybe further back than that. It's odd you know but I feel cleaner now than I think I've ever been regarding the sticky shite stuff, even though I consider I've always have been good with the personal hygiene.

Best o' luck Daniel,

Brian.

Mysterious Mose
Reply to Briutz

Thanks, Brian! I couldn't have said it any better had I tried for a decade! 😂

Daniel

julesden315

I've had my ileostomy for 45 years and 42 years of a loving marriage. Never a problem. We loved each other unconditionally.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
warrior

The question of reversal surgery

is very challenging..

Facts over fiction with real live patients having successful or failed reversals must be documented..and Updated. the sad fact is after reversal the poster- patient disappears. Like cheap gasoline. poof. gone..

and that hurts us as learning family. and web site.

a successful surgery could be having more large intestine than not.. it  would definitely be a good start that you'd be at less risk than most.. and a success.

depending on the large intestine Health, too, could be a matter of concern here because that's what people and research suggests..

And exactly how much of the intestine left to connect will also be valid question needing an answer.

It's also at risk of IBD - UC  or CD.. Cancer ..later on in your life. 

your age and medical history are critical too.

My story in a nutshell : at age 55 my entire large intestine had to be removed as an emergency because there was no saving it.its been difficult to manage since onset at age 25. ..

2016 the  entire large intestine was removed with only about 6 in of it  left and my rectum.. there was hopes of later on  reconnecting the small intestine to that stump...reconnecting never happened bc bloody mucus from rectum had to addressed first..it took 6 yrs with meds and failed..  Crohn's disease developed in the stump in those yrs.  I had that removed this past October 2023.

Butt sewed up. Am I cured of IBD? 

Stay tuned.

I had dealt with CD 40 yrs. no chance colon was healthy for reversal.  even if it was with the data i have learned i would still opt for the bag. u gotta think long term.

The gentleman states he is healthy and the colostomy is his first surgery ever.  He has not mentioned  IBD. I think he just might be a lucky candidate for success reversal. 

Facts. no two people are the same.

Fact- your surgeon' s experience must be questioned. 

Fact- removal of your colon is a life changer. Serious consequences can occur if you don't take notes.  

Blessing for a happier new year folks Be amart. Be patient. Research.