This is probably a dumb question but I accidentally swallowed a piece of gum. Can this cause a blockage of my ileostomy?? I do not chew gum much and just forgot and swallowed it.
Hi, not a dumb question at all. I have an ileostomy and get blockages from certain foods, however, I have never swallowed a piece of gum. I have thought about it happening to me, and yes, I would be concerned, depending on the size of the piece of gum. I would imagine gum does not break down from digestive juices. I can't say for sure, as it has not happened to me. Please let us know what happened, it's an interesting question.
Yes! please let us know the outcome (or output). I have had bits of solid food that have remained intact and passed through without any problem so, I would presume that gum would do the same.
As two bags says - an interesting question!
Assuming that you swallowed a normal size piece you should have no problem If, on the other hand, you swallowed an over-size wad then you might run into trouble.
I think a normal size piece of gum will be ok....good luck.