Advertisement
ConvaTec - OstoMySecrets
Advertisement
ConvaTec - EASE Strips
Meet and talk to 19,700 OstoMates.
Meet and talk to 19,700 OstoMates.

Eating Salad

Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:38 pm

Before my ileostomy I had all my teeth pulled and cannot wear my dentures.  I love salad so to make it easy to eat I put all ingredients in a food processor and made a fine slaw-like consistency.  I wonder if this would work for my ileostomy ....any thought?

Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:44 pm

Just after my ileostomy, I had ten teeth removed, and partial top and bottom dentures made. Before I had my new teeth, I had frequent blockages, from not chewing my good enough, mostly from vegetables and salad, I was so used to eating fast, and not chewing enough.  It took months to get used to my new dentures, now I can eat just about anything without a problem, just need to chew it really, really well. It can take me 30 mins to eat a meal, but that's better than a blockage.  I used to blend my food at first, in a blender, although it doesn't look very appetising, it's easy to digest.  I've had blockages from cold slaw, and shredded cabbage if I eat to much. I would suggest blending your food finer than the slaw like consistency, salad and veggies seem to not want to digest, comes out almost as it went in. Try getting used to your dentures, wearing them a little at a time. I started out using my dentures only for eating, then would have to take them out, it was to painful. Now I leave them in full time. 

Advertisement
ConvaTec - Moldable Technology
Advertisement
ConvaTec - OstoMySecrets
Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:48 am

Hello amj1468. When I first had my stoma I blended all my food and it was fine. after a while I gradually blended less and less until I was eating normally again. It just seemed like a good idea at the time.

Best wishes

Bill

Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:20 pm

I have upper dentures  and I eat anything I want. even nuts  I was on Warfrin and  greens were a no no,  but I have been off it since  Dec 19th and am enjoying my salads,  and greens again.  I think it is just up to the person and there system.  I have a colostomy.

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or MySpace account, or phone number. It will be removed by the Administartor.