Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,226 members

Showering Tip Question

Posted by anyark, on Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:20 pm

I take showers and baths with the bag on.  Afterwards, I towel dry what I can and let the rest air dry.

if I going to change the appliance, I take it off and shower naked.  Any spewing just washes down the drain.   I try to let my skin breathe 15-30 minutes as I don’t like having  adhesive cover my skin 24/7.   I just sit on a towel on my bed with paper towels, a bowl of water and a garbage bag in case he spews.  

Do what feels best to you.  There’s no right or wrong!  

Reply by Papi, on Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:33 pm

Well when someone  helps Into the shower I don't cover my stoma I just wash clean  my stoma with clear water I never where any kinds appliance  into the shower put  new one on after it just make me fill  completely  clean. 

Reply by BeachRN, on Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:45 pm

Thank you, everyone. Your suggestions are invaluable. 

Reply by sparks, on Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:51 pm

I take a shower and use a hauir dryer to dry thr bag and tape and this works well for me.  

Reply by DixieMae, on Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:16 pm

I use Glad Press n’ Seal. Once I got used to using it it’s takes about 2 seconds to put on and press in place. Stay completely dry.

Reply by Papi, on Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:07 pm

Do you apply  that  over your  appliance?and stoma 

Reply by vollovr, on Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:16 pm

Hello, Can't believe all the ostomates on this site that have to use coverings when showering.I've had an ileostomy for 35 years and not one single time ever used anything to cover my wafer and pouch during a shower.When finished I simply dry it off with a towel.When a change is due I shower with nothing.The water and soap feels so good to my stomal area.BTW,I use a 2 piece Convatec Durahesive Natura system.

Reply by Papi, on Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:52 pm

Thank you was beginning  to think  I was the one that showed with  a naked  stoma. 

Reply by OzTomate, on Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:56 pm

I hate the thought of an out of control stoma in the shower so never take one without the bag attached. I have never considered any need to cover or protect the bag in the shower.

I shower every day and sometimes twice if working hard on a hot day. I have a single piece bag collecting urine only and change that bag every 3 days.

After showering I hold a square of paper towel to the underside of the bag for a few seconds to soak up the bulk of the water then completely dry the bag with a hair dryer for about 30 seconds. Been doing this for 3 years and never a problem Smile

Reply by denverguy, on Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:57 pm

Everything seems to let water in. So I finally figured out that if my flange is installed properly it does not matter if it gets wet. I use extra glue on the top and bottom of the flange.  I change my flange every 3 days. I dry it with a towel and hair dryer. I've never had any skin irritiaions,  so this does work for me. 

Reply by Little Lulu, on Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:04 pm

My stoma nurse told me to use Press and Seal, then tape it up around the edges with waterproof tape. I use Nexcare. It has always worked beautifully for me. I know that some people just get their appliance wet, but let me just add that I have never, in three years, had a problem with my appliance coming unstuck. I swear by this. 

Reply by frince, on Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:52 am

Hi

I have use a shower cap with great success. 

2 piece convatec flange and closed pouch system with brava flange extenders. 

Clean stoma with brava skin cleanser wipes from Coloplast

Never experienced any skin problems 

Reply by HenryM, on Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:21 am

I take advantage of a detachable showerhead, with a washcloth, and don't allow the water to spray directly on the appliance.  It'll still get a little wet, of course, but I simply dry it when I get out of the shower.

Reply by BeachRN, on Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:52 am

I shower everyday and change my appliance. I need extra bags but I feel cleaner. My out put is heaviest in the early am. I just can't empty it. I need to throw it out. I've never had any irritation going it this way. I use the Mio one piece. Love it. Best Beach RN

Reply by Tickpol , on Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:23 pm

I just use Press and Seal.  It's in the same aisle as Saran Wrap in your grocery store.  I do a single wrap with 50% overlap.  pulling it tight at the top is the most critical step.

Tickpol

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.