Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,316 members

Have you named your stoma?

Posted by Sunny1978, on Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:32 am

It is my understanding that quite a few people have given their stoma a name.

I have been thinking of that off and on for since the time of my colostomy (Jan. 2015). I finally settled on one:

Krakatoa, like the volcano. It either spews output like crazy or is dormant for a LONG time, like up to 4-5 days at a time (even with many laxatives, etc).

How about you? 

Reply by Bill, on Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:47 am

Hello Sunny, I haven't named my own stoma but I love the names other people have come up with. Krakatoa seems to sum it up quite well.

I did think that 'Alex' would be a good description depicting the colour and shape - after the rose Alex Red. 

This would have allowed me to, tongue in cheek, quote the bard. 'A rose by any other name would smell as sweet'.

Best wishes

Bill

Reply by harleyrider, on Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:44 pm

I named my " Micky  for  Micky Mouse .  Not  because I think it's cute but rather at this day and age ,there should be a better way..not that I have any idea as to what that might be..LOL 

laughing

Reply by Cornet, on Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:44 am

From the start I've had three names only the christian and surname having much use,  When this blob appeared in my middleI felt it justified the middle name and I've called it Arthur ever since .  

Reply by iMacG5, on Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:45 pm

Hi folks.  It seems most ostomates name their stomas and they say it helps them.  I'll probably name mine someday but for now I'll just continue referring to it as "my F'n stoma".  I don't mean any disrespect.  Heck, it's been wonderful!  It saved my life.  I can do most of the stuff I did before I got sick thanks to chemo, radiation, surgery, more chemo and my F'n stoma. I guess, if I did name it, I might have to use something like Sir or Saint in front of the name.  Last thing I want is to make it angry so when I do reference it I whisper.  I'll let you know if I come up with something.

Respectfully,

Mike

Last edited by iMacG5 on Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply by annie_nu2, on Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:56 pm

I call mine rosebud. Then when a loud gurging (usually in a very quiet place) erupts. I put my hand over it and say "Rosebud thinks she is an outboard motor today" and laugh it off. Probably should have called it Evinrude or Everrude. LOL!

Pat

Reply by Snookis Mum, on Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:41 pm

When I was in the hospital, and was told that I should name my stoma, I happened to be channel-surfing, and came upon a woman who was so full of sh*t that I named my stoma Snooki.

Reply by debs69, on Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:54 pm
Sunny1978 wrote:

It is my understanding that quite a few people have given their stoma a name.

I have been thinking of that off and on for since the time of my colostomy (Jan. 2015). I finally settled on one:

Krakatoa, like the volcano. It either spews output like crazy or is dormant for a LONG time, like up to 4-5 days at a time (even with many laxatives, etc).

How about you? 

i have a few for mine!!

shit

sex stopper

turn off

amongst a few!!!

Reply by Mars1954, on Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:44 pm

I named mine "Stanley---the stoma."  Stanley is a well behaved boy most of the time. I talk to him like he's my little boy.

Reply by Mars1954, on Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:44 pm

I named mine "Stanley---the stoma."  Stanley is a well behaved boy most of the time. I talk to him like he's my little boy.

Reply by rvhumbug, on Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:16 pm

Sunny1978,

While i have not named my stoma (it's an old man now) I think you have hit on the perfect name!

Reply by BruceFan, on Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:28 pm

Mine is "Scarlet".  Cause frankly, my dear, she doesn't give a damn!  And of course, she's scarlet red!

Reply by Sunny1978, on Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:56 am

Love the "outboard motor" idea. It's perfect for describing those noisy ostomy times. And of course, it always happens during the quietist of times. I was in a meditation group a few weeks ago and could feel it coming...never pressed on my stoma that intensly before!! LOL!

Reply by Sunny1978, on Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:57 am

These names are awesome!! Love it. Very creative!

Reply by JudiA, on Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:23 pm

mine has been and will always be "the Spout"

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.