Why is there so much vulgarity among ostomates?

Replies
Views
Silveradokid

Hi Mike. I'm not really a fan of polka, but this piece by Roy Clark is an exception: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hV85sDCRGkE

Immarsh

Thank you Chris....and Bain, for bringing a bit of sanity to this discussion. I am 68, and grew up in the 50's but due to illness (ulcerative colitis) I missed most of the 60's. Girls wore dresses to school, we couldn't show bellies, boys had to wear collars, and couldn't wear jeans that showed their underwear. And we wore hankies pinned to our shirts. What else has changed? A lot.....including what is called acceptable language.

This is for Poet....The world has changed, and although it's not all for the better....it's much more permissive a society...than say 50 years ago. Words, topics and even commercials that are on TV now, would never have been possible then.

I'm not a religious expert...but I do think there is a passage in either the Old or New Testament, that talks about "not judging others, lest you be judged". People who use graphic language, are not "bad people". It may not be your preference.....but like the old saying "Don't judge a book by its cover", many are just expressing themselves in the manner that's being used today.

Personally.....I wouldn't use that language in school, or on an interview.....but this is an open, caring and supportive site, and attracts many people from many countries. I don't think anyone here is deliberately trying to hurt or disrespect anyone! So if you personally don't like the way others express themselves...you know what to do.

There's so much more to discuss in today's world......why are we spending time on this?

Marsha

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,473 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

veejay

We spent time on this, Marsha, because an ill-informed, inaccurate, offensive statement was made that could not go unchallenged.

If 'visitors' don't like what is written on this site....the answer is simple...DON'T VISIT!

You are right though, there's plenty more important happenings in the world today, especially in your country, so as they say in the corporate world "moving forward...".

V.J.

iMacG5

Hey Marsha, you nailed it.  I read your reply while listening to Silveradokid's music gift.  Thanks to both of you!

Marsha reminds me of the 12 years of Catholic school, what was appropriate versus sacrilegious.  We evolved, most of us matured and some of us just got old.  We take liberties today that we would've been condemned for 50 years ago.  I thing we're still respectful of our audience and only exercise those liberties expecting similar levels of maturity.  If I guess incorrectly I apologize.

Now I need to download Roy Clark's stuff to my iPod.

Mike

NJ Bain

All I have to say about that is....

Heehaw!!

Used to be a funny show....

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
vikinga

This is curious. This whole thread is about grievances in regards to something that hasn't even been done in this thread.

iMacG5

You're so right, Vikinga.  Maybe Bain's last reply should've been the first reply and all the rest of our energies could've been used for telling jokes.  

Mike

vulcanBMk2

I really don't find these forums any better or any worse than some of the others I use. IE Politics, Aircraft, Photography, Skoda Cars, Jaguar Cars. There are bumholes, snowflakes, heroes, villains, trolls, fairies on all sites. Ignore the stuff you don't like or log off, never to enter again. You have choices in this world.

NJ Bain

===========Scoundrel

Lol

iMacG5

So Vulcan, I finally decided you're not really an alien from a distant planet but using an inanimate object for a screen name concerns me.

Sincerely,

iMacG5

vulcanBMk2

I wouldn't call the Vulcan B Mk2 an inanimate object. But the Cold War is over. Like me, the God of Fire was made redundant and is resting in splendid retirement...

Abbi

Really Poeticodan?? You actually thought it was appropriate to post this?? Wow. I read one of your blog posts about bathrooms and found it to be really crass and vulgar. I'm thinking you're projecting your traits onto other ostomates. Do your own self-work instead of finding fault in the rest of us. Or as the Bible says "Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye." You don't even have to be religious to see the truth and wisdom in that passage. Judge not, lest you be judged. Sweep your own doorstep, before you go looking for dirt on everyone else's. Your bathroom post was very crass, not to mention you found it necessary to make a ridiculous comment about GLBT people in it, which had the ugliness of bigotry written all over it. Stop judging others and start working on yourself.

Abbi

Just how exactly are you being loving and caring and helpful to others? Why don't you just work on actually being loving, caring, and helpful instead of finding fault in others?

HarleyDoll

Hey Mike, I think I love you - haha just kidding - but love your attitude in this post. You are a survivor, man! You have my respect big time (hope that didn't sound too much like Trump - when he said 'big league' in one of the debates I took a double take and said 'He did NOT just say that, did he? This is NOT the 80's' - ANYWAYS all that filthy, dark, nasty, black humor aside, your post here really impressed me. And believe me when I say you have NOTHING to apologize for. I have told you this before on other subjects and it's true, you know. You are fine JUST THE WAY YOU ARE. You don't need to feel ashamed, or less than or apologetic, in fact you don't even need to address people who come in and make nasty accusations such as this person did. Ignore works wonders and heaven knows we all have bigger fish to fry in real life.

People on a site like this are OVERCOMERS and undoubtedly 100 of them have been through more pain, shame, humiliation, fear (and the list could go on and on) than 90% of our population in the western world. I'm pretty sure of that. And I would like to know where this 'F word post' is you talk about. Sounds good to me. I like that word on occasion. I think perhaps the first poster has mistaken this for an etiquette site or something. Oh well. Onwards and upwards:)

itsme

I'm a newbie here and this is my first post. I just signed up tonight because of a thread called "bag". I ended up here because I was initially looking for info on probiotics and ostomies as a good friend of mine is in a position that I want to understand better. I have to say, I think Poet made a good comment because it brought the opinions of so many of you to the forefront of the debate. What I've seen are comments from a really caring community, from well-thought-out people on a subject where humor is tenuous at best. I hope some of these comments helped Poet, they sure helped me!

Davek

This topic is so exciting

freedancer

Wow!! I've been on this site now for 6 months and have yet to see anything vulgar. I have found the people here to be kind, very helpful, and extremely knowledgeable. I've only seen a few curse words used so far. I am not sure where you are referring to as I've seen very few and far between colorful comments.

iMacG5

Hey Harley, love you too.  Somehow I missed your March 15 reply and I really wish I had not.  Thanks for your kind expressions and I promise to be more vigilant in the future.

I'm not sure the administration will approve  but I'll try to resubmit "The F word" in the "Just for Laughs' section.

Much apreciation,

Mike

Mykxman

VulcanBmk2 sounds as if you might be an ex-blue job. I used to be the other end of the runway at Akrotiri.

dls

Bravo...dls