Choosing Surgery for Ulcerative Colitis: Permanent or Temporary Ileostomy?

Replies
Views
moonshine

I had a subtotal colectomy in 2010 (had 80) of my colon removed but was still connected to the small bowel. The internal stitches did not hold and I ended up in full-blown septic shock and ended up with an ileostomy with hopes of a reversal. I have scleroderma (CREST) and GI problems exist and will exist as this is a progressive autoimmune illness. After I was told I was not a great candidate for reversal, I sort of felt relieved and learned to deal with the bag... I bling it out to be as girly as possible. I was also told a reversal might lead me to other digestion and elimination issues.

I am glad I kept the bag

sovington

Please look into a BCIR, which stands for Barnett Continent Intestinal Reservoir. It is the best operation you can get. If you have any questions, you can message me at MN.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,472 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Penguins7

I am curious about the BCIR as I have inquired about it. They said with me having Crohn's I would have to go at least 3 years without any flare-ups, which I have. Please tell me more as I would welcome the opportunity to shed this bag. Thanks. Penguins7

Ostomytalk

I've had the J pouch made in me and reversal done, and I wish I never did get it. It caused me a lot of grief and extra downtime. The only advice I can give if you do get the J pouch made is to take it super slow and allow it to fully heal before going back to a full diet. Maybe explore a more easily overall digestible diet.